Sunday, May 15, 2011

Hot Dog, Hot Dog, Hot Diggity Dog


So it has been awhile and I have to say that I think I have just been lacking inspiration for a bit. But that is now over, as I have a wedding to plan, a new job, no car and time that wants to be filled. So lets get down to business.

Yesterday I was walking in the giant room in Ikea, you know the one that is factory sized where people can grab the bed that they had been trying out in other sections of the store. And as I was walking to the check-out area, I couldn't help but notice an advertisement in the store about the size of a billboard. On it was a giant hot dog, about 20 feet long. It was on sale for 50 cents. But beneath the hot dog was this interesting description: *not actual size.

Really? How did that description get there? Was there once an Ikea customer who asked for the 20 foot hot dog in the advertisement only to be disappointed and complain to corporate about false advertisements? I can just see it now...

Customer: Yes, I would like two hot dogs.
Server: Here you go sir. One dollar.
Customer: These are only like 6 inches long.
Server: Yeah, our dogs are about average for the market.
Customer: Well your sign sure makes them seem like they are going to be at least 15 feet long!
Server: Sir, its a hot dog...

After that, Ikea endures a long battle of trials and lawsuits only to find that they must now change all of their advertisements to warn customers that this lunch is in fact, the average size of a hot dog, and not the length of a limousine. I am sure that this desperate endeavor has saved many a customer from disappointment.

Its kinda like when you are a little kid and you think that maybe the pieces of cereal are going to be the size of the cereal on the box. But every time, there it is, written, "Enlarged to show texture." But I guess I can understand the dissapointment is bigger for dwarfed hot dog. I mean a 20 foot dog and a 6 inch dog is a 40:1 ratio. Enlarged fruit loops to actual fruit loops is about a 2:1 ration. I guess if you are the kind of person who gets upset by the deceiving breakfast cereal boxes, the Ikea hot dog would be a heartbreaking ordeal.

No comments:

Post a Comment